There are studies which show that among men living in the United States, testosterone levels are lower and lower each year. When translating such results into our population, it is worth looking for a way, and at the same time an answer to the question, how to raise testosterone levels? This hormone plays too important a role in the male body to ignore its deficiencies.
Testosterone – what is it?
Testosterone is the most important male sex hormone produced by the testes and adrenal glands. However, this hormone is also found in small amounts in women, where it is produced by the ovaries, the adrenal cortex, and the placenta during pregnancy.
Testosterone is classified as an androgenic hormone, which means in short that it is responsible for male personality traits regarding the appearance, character and functioning of the body. However, the role of testosterone should not be reduced only to imparting sexual characteristics, because it is also responsible for many other functions of the body. This is why low testosterone levels can be dangerous to your health. The pituitary gland, which is controlled by the hypothalamus, determines the amount of hormone secreted in our body.
What are the functions of testosterone in the body?
Testosterone in men has many important functions, including the effect on:
- development and proper functioning of male genital organs,
- sexual initiation,
- sperm production (spermatogenesis)
- development of male hair type,
- voice sound,
- the breakdown of adipose tissue in the body,
- stimulating and maintaining sexual functions,
- anabolic effect – the effect on the growth of muscle mass as a result of the overgrowth of muscle cells without increasing their number,
- stimulating the growth of long bones,
- regulating lipid metabolism,
- blood quality,
- modulating the function of the immune system.
Such a wide action shows that the correct level of testosterone in men is key to maintaining health and sexual function, as well as obtaining satisfactory results of training.
How do you know low testosterone levels?
Low testosterone levels are easy to see from your body’s own observations. One of the first and most common symptoms is a decrease in sex drive, i.e. libido. There are not only erection problems, but also a noticeable decrease in sexual activity.