1. Characteristics of testosterone
Testosterone is a hormone synthesized mainly by the testes, and also by the adrenal glands (in men and women) and the ovaries. The production of testosterone is controlled by a hormone secreted by the pituitary gland. In the male body, testosterone is responsible for the development of secondary sexual characteristics in adolescence, when testosterone levels are particularly high.
2. The role of testosterone in men
Testosterone is the most important male sex hormone and as such performs many important functions:
- enlargement and development of the penis and testicles;
- lowering the timbre of the voice;
- the appearance of pubic hair and facial hair during adolescence; in adulthood,
- testosterone is associated with alopecia;
- increase in muscle mass;
- bone development and strengthening;
- maintaining proper sex drive;
- sperm production.
Due to its properties, testosterone is often used in bodybuilding. Then one of the effects of testosterone is better muscle growth. However, testosterone should be used with caution as you can pay a heavy price for the often spectacular effects of testosterone. One of the side effects of testosterone is to stop the natural production of testosterone. Such side effects of testosterone, however, are noticeable only after the end of the cycle of taking this substance, because we supply testosterone from the outside earlier.